Friday, October 20, 2017

Art Museum Day in Valencia September 19, 2017


Of course I had to visit the Museu de Belles Arts!   I was particularly interested in works by Joaquin Sorolla, who was born in Valencia, though the actual Sorolla Museum is in Madrid. 

The Valencia Museum was well worth the visit.  The main feature is an extensive display of altar pieces, as shown above.  They were very Spanish, in my opinion, in that they were very dramatic.  Most of them dealt with the life of Christ and had depictions showing him from conception to resurrection.  There is lots of blood and gore, and also veneration of Mary.  I took no pictures in the museum, so this one is from the internet.  I don't like to take pictures in museums for a few reasons--they don't turn out well, they are intrusive of others, and I just like to look at the art.  I had been thinking I could buy postcards at the gift shop, but it was being remodeled.

The Sorolla exhibit was amazing.  There is this very dramatic painting of his daughter, Maria, who was recovering from tuberculosis:


There were also lighter themes, such as garden parties and children at the beach:




Sorolla was truly a great painter.  I also enjoyed a room devoted to works by Goya.  Very dark in mood, but beautifully done.

I was surprised to find works by Hieronymous Bosch.  This triptych is an example:

It was time for lunch in a lovely courtyard where I got a typical lunch that was appetizers, entree and dessert.  This time, it was asparagas in a light sauce and an olive salad with corn; beef on skewers wrapped with Spanish ham;  and chocolate ice cream.  Oh, also a glass of wine, and all for 12 euros.  

I took the bus back to my neighborhood and went to the old market (Mercat Centro).  The main market was closed, but there were some stalls outside for browsing, and that was fun.  I also went to a shop across the street from my apartment that was run by some young people who specialized in postcards of graffiti.  In Spain, graffiti is respected as art....street art.  I wanted to support these young artists.

When I was back in my apartment, I settled in and watched news about the Catalonian vote for independence, which was coming up on October 1.  I heard some murmering on the street and looked out and was surprised to see there was a line for the nightclub that was a couple of doors down.  They were peacefully waiting for opening time:


This is looking the other way up the street.  I love the street lamps and the general ambiance of the street, Calle Court.  So beautiful.  Another good day in Valencia.

No comments:

Post a Comment